The program use finance to your advantage is developed to clarify all important financial metrics and overviews. The actual incorporation of the theory does not take place during the training sessions. You make the real progress by applying the learned theory in your daily work. The month in between the sessions enables you to use the learned and discuss in the group what problems you and the others have encountered. This set up provides the unique opportunity to realize a continuous mode of learn, execute, evaluate and excel.
The prime goal of the program is to learn how to make decisions based on Financial information. In order to do so the financial principles and overviews are discussed first. The program is designed for professionals and therefore aimed at maximal efficiency of knowledge transfer. This is concretely reflected in the goal to maximize knowledge transfer within the limited time available.
At the end of this program you are able to:
- Understand the most important principles of financial overviews;
- Read the most common financial overviews and draw your own conclusions from them;
- Apply management accounting techniques like activity based accounting, budgeting and variances;
- Apply Management control techniques like investment proposals, KPI's and Balanced scorecard
- Perform and discuss about a variety of investment analyses;
- Discuss about corporate finance methods and topics;
- Have a better in depth discussion with the financial expert of your company.
The content of the program is 75% fixed and based on the principles of finance and accounting. The remaining 25% of the program will be set during the program based on the needs and whishes of the participants.
The program starts with the main Financial principles and statements. Subsequently management accounting topics will be discussed and the way to use them in your daily business. Further down the program investment proposals en techniques to calculate profitability are explained. On the last day, as a recap and for pleasure we play the management game.
To prepaire for the program you will receive a questionnaire, Financials in context, developed by Finance for Non-Financials. The overviews that have been handed in by the participants are discussed during the program. During the year the content of the program is determined in mutual agreement.
To enable implementing the leaned theory the book Finance for Managers, your mentor and guide to doing business effectively, from the Harvard business essentials series is provided next to the course material. Further reading can be found in the other books from the Harvard business essentials series.
Block 1 Financial Statements
- The main principles of finance and accounting
- Profit and Loss Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash-Flow statement
- Use the learned overviews in your daily practice
- Practice talking about Financials
Block 2 Management Accounting Techniques
- Activity Based Costing
- Budgeting and Beyond Budgeting
- Strategic Plans
Block 3 Management Control techniques and business management
- Shareholder value ROIC, ROA, ROCE
- What financial mechanisms are used to manage a company
Block 4 Investment decisions
- Pay back period
- Return on Investment
- Internal Rate of Return
- How do I sell my investment proposal to the controller
Day 10 Management Game
- Rules of the Game
- Recognize the company
- Decide upon a cut back
- Choose your investment
- After each round the proposals of the groups are discussed
- Announcement of the winner and analyze the major decisions
- Wrap up of the program
At the end of every session there is opportunity for answering personal questions
If the time at the end of the sessions is insufficient for the case discussed, we offer the opportunity to book individual coaching sessions. Do you have a specific topic you want to discuss? Please contact us
For professionals who have experience in taking financial decisions we offer an executive program. Due to the higher knowledge level of the participants and the smaller group size the attention to theory is lower and more time is spend on discussing financial topics and decision making.
Non-Financial professionals and Non-Financial executives
|Intended for||Professionals course||Executive course|
|Maximum number of participants||12 people||6 people|
|Price||€ 7.998,- excl. VAT||€ 19.998,- excl. VAT|
|Course duration||Ten days (once a month, summer stop in July & August)|
|Trainer||Mrs. Drs. Susan Marcussen-Geelen RC,|
|Location and Date||In mutual consultation|